Men and women interested in laser hair removal at my Boston area practice often ask me if this procedure can be used on sensitive areas of the body, such as the face. While the general answer to this question is “yes” – laser hair removal is safe for sensitive areas– it’s important that patients understand laser hair removal before receiving treatment. Here’s what you need to know about the safety and effectiveness of laser hair removal:
- Laser hair removal targets hair follicles with a high concentration of melanin, which can make it ideal for darker hair.
- Laser hair removal usually is safe for delicate areas of the body, such as the face or bikini line, since the laser does not affect the surrounding skin or tissues.
- Due to the hair growth cycle, a series of treatments is typically needed to see complete results.
- Advancements in laser technology can now effectively target a wider range of hair colors and skin tones.
- Lasers can treat large areas of the body, such as the legs, as well as smaller regions, such as the upper lip or eyebrow.