It’s not uncommon for my tummy tuck patients in Vancouver to have questions about the recovery process when they arrive for their initial consultation. While the exact details will depend on the extent of your surgery, here are some general guidelines:
- You will be asked to wear a compression garment. This helps your body conform to its new shape and also speeds recovery and minimizes swelling.
- You should expect moderate discomfort the first few days following surgery. This is only temporary and can easily be controlled with pain medication, and occasionally with a local anaesthetic pain pump.
- It’s normal to feel tightness or a pulling sensation in your abdomen. This can last for several weeks, depending on the surgery.
- Avoid straining the abdominal wall for 6 weeks. This includes staying away from vigorous exercise or contact sports, as well as avoiding certain abdominal motions.
- Your results should be long lasting if you maintain your weight. Eating responsibly and exercising regularly will help you avoid weight fluctuations that can affect your results.