There’s good news for individuals interested in tattoo removal at my Boston area cosmetic surgery practice: laser procedures available today are more effective and more comfortable than previous techniques. Whereas, in the past, individuals hoping to erase these “youthful indiscretions” were limited to invasive techniques such as dermabrasion, cryosurgery, or skin excision, effective tattoo removal is now possible with a series of simple laser treatments.
If you are considering laser tattoo removal, here are some important truths to keep in mind:
- Complete tattoo removal is not always possible, but significant fading can occur with multiple treatments.
- Yellow and orange are two of the most difficult colors to remove; blue and black are among the easiest.
- Three of the most effective lasers specifically designed for tattoo removal include: the Q-Switched Ruby, the Q-Switched Alexandrite, and the Q-Switched Nd: YAG. Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatments are also highly effective.
- Laser tattoo removal is bloodless, low-risk, and has very minimal side effects.
- Most individuals do not require anesthesia and pain can be controlled with topical numbing creams and cooling.