I often encounter people who are unhappy with the appearance of their noses but postpone surgery because they lack an understanding of the recovery process. Being aware of the actual recovery time for rhinoplasty in Toronto can help a person set realistic expectations and prepare for the weeks following surgery. Here is a look at the typical recovery process for rhinoplasty patients:
- Resting in bed for first 24 hours
- Potential nose splint for protection and to help the nose maintain its shape
- Stitches, which are removed 5 to 7 days after surgery
- Cold compresses for the first 2 or 3 days
- Head upright, and elevated while sleeping
- Mild bruising
- Bruising should dissipate within 2 weeks
- Swelling subsides throughout month
- Return to work and exercise within 2 weeks
I usually advise patients to resume normal activities with caution. This includes wearing sunscreen to protect sensitive skin and avoiding extreme sports for up to 6 weeks. Some people take longer than others to recover completely, but most patients should see final results within 6 months to 2 years.
If you have any questions regarding your cosmetic surgery, I recommend seeking the advice of a qualified surgeon. He or she can help you better understand your procedure and what the recovery process will entail.