As a periodontist in Los Angeles, I’ve noticed that many of my patients hesitate when I mention the term “dental implant.” The reason? They don’t understand just how simple and effective this option can be.
Here are 3 common myths – and the real facts – about dental implants:
- Myth: A dental implant requires endless rounds of surgery.
- Fact: It typically involves only a few simple visits. In fact, in many instances, I can perform immediate placement of the dental implant in a single visit.
- Myth: A dental implant procedure is painful.
- Fact: By carefully choosing a qualified, experienced periodontist, you can have an almost painless and highly satisfying experience. To keep my patients comfortable throughout the procedure, I use either local or general anesthetic during each visit. Most patients experience only mild swelling and discomfort for a few days after the initial implant placement. By taking oral pain medication and antibiotics, any pain or swelling can be effectively managed. These medications also facilitate healing.
- Myth: Dental implants often fail.
- Fact: Only a tiny percentage (under 5 percent) do not succeed, and the vast majority work beautifully. By avoiding smoking and following a healthy lifestyle (including a sensible diet and fitness plan) and medical check up to rule out diabetic condition, osteoporosis, etc… You can increase the likelihood of a successful implant. And you can then maintain your restored, beautiful smile by brushing, flossing, and visiting the dentist regularly.