I get a lot of patients who’ve seen ads for Invisalign in the San Diego and La Jolla area, and they have questions about how the system really works. One of the more common concerns is how to eat and drink while wearing the clear, smile-correcting trays. Here are a few pointers I give my patients:
- You may take your retainers out when eating or drinking, but wear the trays for 20 to 22 hours per day.
- Brush and floss your teeth after each meal.
- Avoid drinking liquids that may stain the trays (such as tea or soda).
- Aim to go no more than a half-hour without the retainer in per meal or snack.
- Drink plenty of water to discourage bacteria buildup.
Because of the heightened awareness around their eating and drinking habits, several of my patients have found that they are more conscious of how much they consume. This understanding pushes them to practice more mindful eating habits and minimize snacking between meals. For this reason, many people end up losing weight during their Invisalign treatment.