Breast lift and breast reduction are similar procedures, but they have different objectives.
When to Get a Breast Lift
Weight fluctuation, pregnancy, nursing and age can lead to what we call ptotic breasts, meaning they sag without support. By removing excess tissue, we can elevate the breast, nipple and areola and restore a balanced, youthful shape. A breast lift is strictly cosmetic. Consider a breast lift if:
- Your nipple and areola have moved down or point down
- The bottom fullness has increased and the upper fullness has decreased
When to Get a Breast Reduction
A breast reduction patient is usually looking for relief from issues beyond cosmetic concerns. Large breasts can be physically uncomfortable and cause health issues. Removing large amounts of breast tissue can alleviate health problems and improve shape and size. Consider a breast reduction if:
- Your breasts cause discomfort or other more serious health concerns
- The size of your breasts interferes with certain activities
- You want to alter the size and shape of your breasts
The Best of Both
I combine breast lift with breast reduction in Illinois. While there is some lift inherent in the reduction procedure, further reshaping and lifting can produce more desirable aesthetic results.