Longing for a slimmer shape, men and women often ask me about the pros and cons of liposuction in Seattle. I”ve discovered 4 common misconceptions:
- They assume that they can choose liposuction as an alternative to healthy diet and regular exercise.
- They think that their entire body, from head to toe, can benefit from liposuction.
- They are not aware of the latest technological advances in liposuction that have resulted in new treatment options.
- They view it as a “lunch hour” procedure, with no downtime or need for recovery.
Here”s the real skinny on the shaping benefits of liposuction:
- Liposuction achieves the best results when you are near or at your optimal weight. For men and women who regularly exercise and follow a healthy diet, liposuction can be an excellent way to target those frustrating areas of fat on the thighs, tummy, and other areas that even the most rigorous exercise and diet programs cannot remove.
- Liposuction is appropriate for only certain areas of the body, such as the flanks, love handles, tummy, upper arms, and knees. For other areas, such as the face, liposuction has only limited application and a different approach is usually more effective and results in a more aesthetically pleasing result.
- Different liposuction technologies can be used. At my plastic surgery practice in the Seattle area we offer both ultrasonic liposuction with VASER® technology and laser liposuction using the Smartlipo™ device. In contrast to older, more invasive methods, these technologies break up fat cells with minimal disruption to surrounding tissues. The laser Smartlipo technology offers the additional benefit of added skin tightening. This technology can improve results, particularly in patients who are older or have lost some skin elasticity.
- Effective, safe liposuction is not a “lunch hour” procedure. It requires thoughtful planning, proper preparation, and careful execution. Attentive post-operative care, including ultrasound treatments to reduce swelling, and appropriate support garments can also impact the final outcome. The specifics of your procedure will vary, depending on the area being treated and type of liposuction chosen.