Stretch marks are a big concern for my “mommy makeover” and post-weight-loss patients, and there are a few things you need to know about how you can minimize these. First, stretch marks are actually paper-thin scars below the skin surface, which is why “miracle creams” that only reach the top layer of the skin don’t work. But there are plenty of good options for treatments that will get rid of stretch marks (or at least disguise them):
5 Stretch Mark Solutions that Work
- 1 – Tummy Tuck – When I remove excess skin and fat during a tummy tuck, I can often position the incision so that I remove as much of the abdominal stretch marks as possible along with the extra skin. A tummy tuck does replace the stretch marks with a thin scar below the bikini line, but it’s also the most thorough solution and the only one that can get rid of stretch marks in the abdominal area completely.
- 2 – Mini-Tummy Tuck (limited abdominoplasty) – If the patient has fewer stretch marks, this procedure can sometimes correct the problem the same way as a full tummy tuck.
- 3 – Microdermabrasion – This skin rejuvenation technique can sometimes be used to polish away some of the fibrous stretch-mark scar tissue microscopically. Over time the new, healthy cells can help disguise the marks.
- 4 – Liposuction – This procedure isn’t at the top of my list because large stretch marks can actually work against good liposuction results by preventing skin from tightening after the procedure. In a few cases, though, this option can help minimize the appearance of newer, smaller stretch marks because it removes the fat that pressed them outward and made them more visible.
- 5 – Laser Therapy – Certain types of excimer, fractional, and pulsed-dye laser therapies can partly disguise the appearance of stretch marks, but unfortunately they won’t eliminate them completely the way surgery can.
Which option? If you’re not quite sure which treatment would work best for you, the best thing to do is to consult a qualified plastic surgeon for advice. Most of us offer dermatologic services like microdermabrasion, and a consultation is the best way to find out which option would get the best results.