By: Dr. Chris Moss
While a good skin care routine using medical grade products is essential for healthy skin, it is especially crucial after your laser skin resurfacing treatment in Melbourne. Lasers affect the skin by delivering targeted heat energy to the superficial epidermis, thereby vaporizing the top layers of the skin and bringing new cells to the surface. Until it matures, this new layer of skin is especially sensitive and needs to be properly cared for in order to ensure that your skin is in optimal health. By following the recommendations below, you can maintain or even enhance the results of your laser procedure.
Skin Care Tips
- It’s important to remember that your skin will change after laser skin resurfacing and may become temporarily drier or more sensitive. For this reason, using moisturizer and a broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen is recommended.
- Some swelling is expected after laser skin resurfacing. Dr Moss can prescribe oral medication to manage this common side effect.
- Wash your face gently using a mild cleanser and washcloth a few times a day to help encourage exfoliation.
- A skin lightening or bleaching cream can be prescribed to reduce hyperpigmentation (skin discoloration) if required.
- Retin-A or glycolic acid products can further help to lessen the appearance of wrinkles and stimulate collagen production in the skin. However, these should be used approximately 6 weeks after a laser resurfacing procedure, or as recommended by your physician.
Everyone’s skin reacts differently to laser treatments. Therefore, it is important to check with your treatment provider regarding the proper way to care for your skin after your resurfacing procedure.